My Blog List

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Do You Believe in Magic





It was one of those winter nights when moonlight reflects off the snow and the air glistens with possibilities that I first saw them.  Five deer were lined up at my feeding areas, from the largest to a yearling fawn.  They were thin, wary; and looked as if they had been traveling, only resting here for a moment before heading on.

In order to get a better look, I walked out onto my deck.   Seeing me, the largest deer stepped forward in front of the group, reared up and pawed at the snow.   I immediately went back in, but he remained stationary guarding the rest while they ate.  He stayed there until all of his group turned and moved silently into the woods.  Then and only then did he follow.

"it's alright, Pops," I said as he left.  Your safe here and the buffet will be out again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment