Well, two things happened almost simultaneously. When I'm not out shooting weddings and horse and rider glamour shots, I work in a hospital. Here's the cheery news I got to read: On a test of the umbilical cords of babies born in upscale hospitals, when tested they found, over 400 toxic chemicals. That's right, over 400. The good old US of A has one of the highest cancer rates and rates of ADHD, in the world. One in one hundred children have some form of autism. The two worst offenders are and I hope I'm spelling this right, phthalates found in the fragrances in laundry detergent, body washes, softeners, lip glosses and nail polish. The other hugey is found in plastics. According to the President's Council on Cancer, which was set up by Regan not Obama, those two toxic chemicals are responsible for more cancers than tobacco and alcohol combined. Isn't that wonderful. The rest of the nasties are from the pesticides, growth hormones and other lovelys we eat every day.
So after I read this, I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" I suggest you read it. It's an eye opener. So I decided, to eat locally. Guys the food tastes better, much better. It's amazing. The food that's good for you actually tastes better. However, I have to say, that when asked if I'd like to look at the animals, I said, "no." I can't meet, pet or have anything to do with an animal I'm going to eat. I know this is hypocritical, but that's just the way I am.
So for anyone reading this, please have fragrance free everything and as far as possible, remove plastics from your life.