My Blog List

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What's Up With Pammy and Pixie

I have no clue how many of you have been with me since the beginning. Pammy and her fawn Pixie were my emotional favorites during the blizzards of '10. Because I kept Pammy alive by feeding her, her new fawns were not aborted or died within two days of being born. She has behaved differently than any article I've read.  She has not kicked her last year's fawn,, Pixie, away. She has not driven Pixie away from the food. She has twin fawns, who I have yet to name, and Pixie acts like the older sister. Pammy positions the babies with Pixie and then she walks away. 

This is a really bad picture, my long lens is winging it's way back from Canon,where I had it fixed.  This is the best I coud do with what I had. Understand what you are seeing goes against anything that's ever been written about doe behavior.  You'll see the two fawns, the deer coming up with them is Pixie, the yearling.  The blur in the background is Pammy, the doe. What continues to blow me away is that they don't come unless I call them. After I've spred the food, I yell, "Pammy, Pixie, babies, come on girly girls, come on fawnies and within  five minutes they arrive.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to know more about these girls, what you feed them, how long it took to accustom them to you, has it made them less shy of other humans, etc. I don't see any labels to go back in the archives, am I not seeing them or do you not label posts?

    ReplyDelete