My Blog List

Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's Been A Year

Well what do you know.  It's been a year since I stepped back and let the cat's take over. Now why on earth would I do that.  Well, for one thing, thinking up things for them to do is fun.  I don't know what that says about me.  But it is fun.  When I'm stuck in traffic on the beltway, instead of fuming I start planning a new adventure for them, or a new character comes to me and I start laughing. I guess I'm channeling my inner twelve year old.  Anyway it's also been a year since a series of unfortunate events led to me losing 35 yes 35 pounds.

Here's what happened.  It's also my birthday, so last year for my birthday,  I decided to buy some new clothes. I called a local store, told them my size and could hardly wait to see what the personal shopper selected.  Well when I got there, none of the clothes fit.  I had gone up a size.  Now I don't want you to think, I was fuming because I'd gone from a size zero to a 1 and 1/2.  Not hardly. I was now in an extra large and you can guess the size number because I'm not telling.

Well I figured that they were cutting the clothes smaller in an effort to cheap out. So I just went up a size, after all it's not about the size, it's about the fit.  Right.

So on to the doctor, where guess what, my blood pressure was up.  It was Saturday and they didn't make me step on the scale.  That was obviously all about my allergy medicine.  So the doctor switched my allergy medicine, the fact that I was wearing gicantor jeans had nothing to do with it.

Now we are up to my best friends birthday party on a wonderful brunch cruise.  So of course our jolly group decided to have our picture taken.  And when I looked at it, there staring me in the face was the truth. Somehow I had gotten FAT. Not plump, not chubby, FAT. I was shocked and determined to know the truth.  So the very next day which was a Monday, I weighed myself on the hospital scale and almost passed out.  I had to weigh myself twice, because I couldn't believe what the scale was showing.  And right then and there I determined to do something about this.

The first thing I decided was I was not going on a diet, because I don't think diets work.  In my opinion, here's why diets don't work.  You starve yourself until you've lost a few and then you don't have to diet and back up the scale you go. Nope I was going to change the way I eat and the amount I eat. And I told myself I was going to be hungry until I got used to it, but I was just going to be hungry and I did it.

The weight came off.  I eat everything, but just not as much. That's all there is to it. What's been interesting is that I can now really taste the food and I actually love what I'm eating.  And it takes me longer to eat the smaller portions than it did to shovel down the linebacker meals, who knew.

Oh yes, my polar vortex update.  Yesterday it was sunny and seventy. It's been windy, so the mud is drying out.  But we can't have that oh no.  So today and tomorrow its going to snow.  Lovely, just lovely.

To see what's going on in Katz City, check out welcometokatzity.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Glad you were able to make positive changes for yourself.

    ReplyDelete